12 April 2016 blogs 3min read
System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) is a great system to monitor services. In SCOM, an IT Service refers to a ‘Distributed Application’, mainly because most SCOM users think of a Windows Service or Web Service when they see the word ‘service’, instead of an IT service. With SCOM you can monitor both a Windows Service, or you can monitor IT services, in other words, a Distributed Application (DA).
SCOM contains a lot of detailed information about the status of your infrastructure and application components, whether you are monitoring a Windows service or an IT Service/Distributed Application. However, SCOM lacks the ability to translate individual component alerts to business impact information.
We have seen at customer sites that due to the vast amount of information you can get from SCOM, a single event on a monitored IT asset can quickly create a cascade of alerts on related components. This ends up creating a serious stress on the IT team’s mail environment. It is not uncommon to see hundreds of emails a day generated by SCOM, yet many of the recipients are only interested in receiving a single SCOM alert notification warning them that end users are not able to use a business service or that a business is about to become unavailable.
We have gathered the top 5 technical problems most of our customers face when using SCOM. Take a look and see if any of these scenarios is familiar to you:
1. The creation of distributed applications in SCOM is a very time-consuming task and an administrative headache. How can I quickly setup and maintain DAs?
2. Every time my infrastructure changes, I have to update my Distributed Applications.How can I create dynamic DAs?
3. My SCOM environment is generating hundreds of emails per day. How can I reduce the number of emails?
4. SCOM shows red for all components that suggest a critical issue. How can I prioritize these by telling the impact it will have on the business?
5. Identify, prioritize, and resolve. These are the critical actions that make up the bulk of my day and are essential to keep my IT operations running 24/7. How can I access SCOM data on any device I choose?
Are you facing any of these problems when using SCOM alone to monitor your services? Are you getting a storm of alerts in your inbox? Visualizing complex SCOM data and accessing on any device of your choice? Easily setting up and maintaining Distributed Applications? We have the solution for you. The best part? We will not only give you the solution, we can also reward you with a $500 travel voucher.