Objective: Install the Live Maps V10 Portal in a normal setup. There are different instructions if you wish to install Live Maps V10 Portal in a DMZ. This guide contains the installation steps for most cases.
Please read through the install process prior to installation. There are several steps in this process where you will be asked to make a decision. It is helpful to know these questions ahead of time so you can make a thoughtful decision. This is especially true for the Portal location and authentication methods.
System Center Operations Manager version (Note: No component of Operations Manager is required to be on the server that will be hosting the Live Maps Portal).
- SCOM 2012 R2
- SCOM 2016
- SCOM 1801+
Supported Operating Systems
- Windows Server 2012 with IIS role enabled
- Windows Server 2012 R2 with IIS role enabled
- Windows 2016 with IIS role enabled
|Processor||1.4 GHz||2 GHz or faster|
|Memory||2 GB RAM||4 GB or greater|
|Available Disk Space||150 MB||150 MB or greater|
Supported Browsers – All major browsers are supported, Chrome, Edge, Firefox, IE. Note: other browsers that support HTML5 should also work, but there could be some differences from place to place. Also IE, tends to be the slowest performing of the major browsers and it is recommended to use Chrome or Firefox.
App Pool User – Requirement for a Domain Username and password to run the app pool. This user must also have “db_datareader” access into both your Operations and DW databases. This user will need to have access to SCOM and the “Live Maps Portal Group” if you wish to use Static URLs. Those are the minimum requirements. Generally we recommend this user be a SCOM admin to make sure other items are not restricted, such as Powershell commands in a summary dashboard.
IIS Roles and Features
Web Server (IIS)
- Default Document
- Static Content
- Health and Diagnostics
- HTTP Logging
- Request Filtering
- Windows Authentication
- Application Development
- .Net Extensibility 4.5
- NET 3.5
- NET 4.5
- ISAPI Extensions
- ISAPI Filters
- Management Tools
- IIS Management Console
.NET Framework 4.5 Features
- .NET Framework 4.5
- NET 4.5
- WCF Services
- HTTP Activation
- TCP Port Sharing
You will also need to upgrade to .NET 4.6.2 or greater
A V10 License key will be required for the following scenarios;
- Installing Live Maps V10 for the first time in a SCOM mgmt.
- Upgrading from Live Maps V7 or V8
You will not need a new license key if you are upgrading from a prior release of V10.X to a newer release of V10.X. Example upgrading from 10.0 to 10.1
Where to Install
Considerations on where to install are based on your requirements. The Live Maps Portal can be installed on any Windows 2012 R2 or Windows 2016 server with the IIS role. This can include your Mgmt server. There is no requirement that it must be installed on a mgmt server.
Forms Authentication will generally work in any install, but Authentication may require additional steps for Kerberos to work.
What is not covered in this guide are Live Maps Portals in a DMZ. This guide assumes normal access to the SCOM Mgmt servers and databases
1. To Begin, please right click on the “Savision Live Maps Portal Setup.exe” file, and select “Run as Administrator” This is a recommended step, even if you are logged in as a domain admin. Then click Yes to allow the program to make changes to your computer.
2. Click Next on the Welcome dialog box.
3. The installer will start checking for the Prerequisites, When this is complete, click on Next.
4. Click on “I accept the agreement”, then click on Next on the Licence Agreement.
5. Select the install folder path. Check or Uncheck if you want the installer to “Create Desktop Shortcut”, then click on Next.
6. Check or Uncheck “I agree to participate” on the Customer Experience Improvement, then click Next.
7. Type in the FQDN of the SCOM mgmt server you want the Portal to connect to for its operations, then click on Next.
8. At this point Live Maps will connect to the SCOM mgmt server you selected. Once it is connected it wil prompt for your V10 License key. Paste the contents of the license key you were given and then click Next.
9. Type in a Domain Username and password. This user will be setup as your app pool user. It must have “db_datareader” access to both the Operations Manager and DW databases. It is also helpful that it has access into SCOM, but that can be setup later. Click on Verify to check the credentials. This will check to make sure the credentials have the necessary access to your SCOM Databases.
10. Once you have verified the user, click Next to continue.
11. Pick Forms or Windows Authentication. Note: If this is installed on a SCOM mgmt server, Windows Authentication will work without no additional problems. However if this is on a separate IIS web server, you may need to perform additional steps later for Windows Authentication to work. Forms authentication will work in any scenario. When you have made your choice click on Next.
12. On the Website type, pick Parent or Child Application.
a.) If you select the default “Parent Site”, Live Maps will be installed in a new website running on port 53595. To access the portal you will need to navigate to http://<Portal-FQDN>:53959.
b.) If you select “Child Application”, you will be prompted for which website you would like to install Live Maps. To access the portal, you will need to navigate to http(s)://<Portal-FQDN>/livemapsportal. This is typically the case if you are installing Live Maps on the same server as your Operations Manager web console.
13. Click Next after you have made your selection.
14. On the Ready to Install dialog, click on Install. At this point the installer will install/upgrade the Savision MPs into your SCOM environment as well as add the Live Maps portal to IIS.
15. Click on Finish to complete the installation.
Accessing the Live Maps Portal
The installation is now complete. To access the Portal for the first time, please use a SCOM admin to make sure everything is working. The URL for access will be determined if you choose Parent or Child Application.
- Parent Site – http://<servername>:53595
- Child Application – http(s)://<servername>/livemapsportal
- If this was an upgrade, please use the previous URL for access
The port number of the parent site can be changed in the IIS Manager.